School Social Work
- LAST REVIEWED: 06 May 2015
- LAST MODIFIED: 29 April 2015
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780195389678-0110
- LAST REVIEWED: 06 May 2015
- LAST MODIFIED: 29 April 2015
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780195389678-0110
School social work is a subspecialty within the social work profession. The field has been in existence in the United States for over one hundred years and is practiced in many other countries. Although the actual number of school social workers worldwide is unknown, the field serves children in most states in the United States. According to the School Social Work Association of America, “School social workers bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system and the student services team. School Social Workers are instrumental in furthering the purpose of the schools: To provide a setting for teaching, learning, and for the attainment of competence and confidence. School social workers are hired by school districts to enhance the district’s ability to meet its academic mission, especially where home, school and community collaboration is the key to achieving that mission.” This entry covers introductory works on school social work practice, works on the history of school social work, and journals that support the field of school social work. Reviews of evidence-based practices and empirical studies that support the work of school social workers are further highlighted along with some of the best prevention and intervention practices in the field. Web-based resources for obtaining evidenced-based practices and commonly used school-based measurement instruments are suggested. Effective resources for understanding the macro dimensions of school-based practices are summarized, such as working with communities, school policies, and evidence-based teaching strategies. Finally, school social work in the international context is considered.
The resources in this section provide an introduction to the school social work profession. They were selected because they present an introduction to the roles and responsibilities of school social workers with discussion of interventions and the use of case examples to illustrate concepts. Allen-Meares 2015 provides information on effective interventions, current research, current information on macro and political forces that shape education, educational policy, and the need for systems change in schools. Openshaw 2008 provides an introduction to school social work practice and group practice techniques by grade and presenting problem. Constable, et al. 2008 also describes practice skills relevant for school social workers and updated information on political forces that shape the profession. Frey and Dupper 2005 presents the authors’ perspective on current trends and needs for the profession. Kelly 2008 also focuses on new trends, particularly on the need for evidence-based practice in school social work. Other texts also provide extensive analysis of evidence-based research and outcome measures (Chavkin 1993, Franklin, et al. 2012, Thyer and Myers 2007).
Allen-Meares, Paula, ed. 2015. Social work services in schools. 7th ed. New York: Pearson, Allyn, and Bacon.
This text discusses major issues confronting education and provides direction for implementing and evaluating school social work services. Case examples are provided to illustrate concepts. The book also provides information about knowledge required by social work professional organizations. Each chapter ends with additional readings and questions for discussion and/or exercises.
Chavkin, Nancy Feyl. 1993. The use of research in social work practice: A case example from school social work. Westport, CT: Praeger.
Tests the theory that there is a relationship between organizational structure and the use of research recommendations in school social work. Part 1 explores the complex relationship between applied social science research and practice. Part 2 is the case example of the use of Lela B. Costin’s recommendation for changes in the goals and methods of school social service delivery. Part 3 presents the implications of the case for practice, policy, and theory and provides suggestions for future research.
Constable, Robert T., Carol Rippey Massat, Shirley McDonald, and John P. Flynn. 2008. School social work: Practice, policy, and research. 7th ed. Chicago: Lyceum.
This introductory guide to social work practice in schools covers legislation affecting school social workers and current trends in the economic, social, and political climate for schools. The book also includes content on group work, work with families, attendance, case management, working with the child welfare system, social skills training, violence reduction, crisis intervention, and peer mediation.
Franklin, Cynthia, Mary Beth Harris, and Paula Allen-Meares, eds. 2012. The school services source book: A guide for school-based professionals. 2d ed. New York: Oxford Univ. Press.
This comprehensive sourcebook covers every aspect of school service delivery, arming practitioners with the nuts and bolts of evidence-based practice. Each of the chapters includes a summary of the problem area, step-by-step instructions on how to implement an evidence-based program, and methods to measure the outcomes.
Frey, Andy J., and David R. Dupper. 2005. A broader conceptual approach to clinical practice for the 21st century. Children and Schools 27:33–44.
Frey and Dupper provide a framework for conceptualizing school social work practice that illustrates the ecological aspects of the clinical knowledge and skills needed for effective social work practice in schools. The article also differentiates the role of school social workers from that of other school-based professionals.
Kelly, Michael S. 2008. The domains and demands of school social work practice: A guide to working effectively with students, families, and schools. New York: Oxford Univ. Press.
Describes new developments and trends in the school social work profession. Topics include evidence-based practice, demonstrating the effectiveness of school social work practice, common clinical issues addressed by school social workers, and proposed future directions for school social work practice and research.
Openshaw, Linda. 2008. Social work in schools: Principles and practice. New York: Guilford.
This introductory text includes practical skills for observation, assessment, intervention, and research. It includes information on the various roles and functions of school social workers and discusses school social work from an ecological perspective. The book groups content by grade level and presenting problems, including violence, trauma, parental absence, substance abuse, bereavement, and mental health issues. Examples and discussion questions included.
Thyer, Bruce A., and Laura L. Myers. 2007. A social worker’s guide to evaluating practice outcomes. Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education.
Provides social work practitioners with an easy-to-follow guide to selecting measures useful in evaluating the outcomes of social work practice and in applying these in the context of simple group or single-system research designs.
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
How to Subscribe
Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions and individuals. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here.
Purchase an Ebook Version of This Article
Ebooks of the Oxford Bibliographies Online subject articles are available in North America via a number of retailers including Amazon, vitalsource, and more. Simply search on their sites for Oxford Bibliographies Online Research Guides and your desired subject article.
If you would like to purchase an eBook article and live outside North America please email email@example.com to express your interest.
- Adolescent Depression
- Adolescent Pregnancy
- Adoption Home Study Assessments
- Adult Protective Services in the United States
- African Americans
- Aging, Physical Health and
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Problems
- Alcohol and Drug Problems, Prevention of Adolescent and Yo...
- Alcohol Problems: Practice Interventions
- Alcohol Use Disorder
- Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias
- Anti-Oppressive Practice
- Asian Americans
- Asian-American Youth
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Baccalaureate Social Workers
- Behavioral Health
- Behavioral Social Work Practice
- Bereavement Practice
- Brief Therapies in Social Work: Task-Centered Model and So...
- Bullying and Social Work Intervention
- Canadian Social Welfare, History of
- Case Management in Mental Health in the United States
- Child Poverty
- Child Welfare
- Child Welfare and Child Protection in Europe, History of
- Children of Incarcerated Parents
- Chronic Illness
- Clinical Social Work Practice with Adult Lesbians
- Cognitive Behavior Therapies with Diverse and Stressed Pop...
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Community Development
- Community Policing
- Community-Based Participatory Research
- Community-Needs Assessment
- Comparative Social Work
- Conflict Resolution
- Council on Social Work Education
- Counseling Female Offenders
- Criminal Justice
- Crisis Interventions
- Cultural Competence and Ethnic Sensitive Practice
- Culture, Ethnicity, Substance Use, and Substance Use Disor...
- Dementia Care, Ethical Aspects of
- Depression and Cancer
- Development and Infancy (Birth to Age Three)
- Direct Practice in Social Work
- Domestic Violence Among Immigrants
- Eating Disorders
- Ecological Framework
- Economic Evaluation
- Elder Mistreatment
- End-of-Life Decisions
- Epigenetics for Social Workers
- Ethics and Values in Social Work
- Evidence-based Social Work Practice
- Evidence-based Social Work Practice: Finding Evidence
- Evidence-based Social Work Practice: Issues, Controversies...
- Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs
- Families with Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual Parents
- Family Caregiving
- Family Group Conferencing
- Family Policy
- Family Services
- Family Therapy
- Family Violence
- Fathering Among Families Served By Child Welfare
- Field Education
- Financing Health-Care Delivery in the United States
- Forensic Social Work
- Foster Care
- Gay Men
- Generalist Practice and Advanced Generalist Practice
- Group Work
- Group Work across Populations, Challenges, and Settings
- Group Work, Research, Best Practices, and Evidence-based
- Harm Reduction
- Health Care Reform
- Health Disparities
- Health Social Work
- History of Social Work and Social Welfare, 1950-1980
- History of Social Work from 1980-2014
- History of Social Work in China
- History of Social Work in Northern Ireland
- History of Social Work in the Republic of Ireland
- History of Social Work in the United Kingdom
- HIV/AIDS Prevention with Adolescents
- Homelessness Outside the United States
- Human Needs
- Human Trafficking, Victims of
- Immigrant Policy in the United States
- Immigrants and Refugees
- Immigrants and Refugees: Evidence-based Social Work Practi...
- Impaired Professionals
- Implementation Science and Practice
- Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Supported Employmen...
- International Social Welfare
- International Social Work
- International Social Work and Education
- International Social Work and Social Welfare in Southern A...
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Intervention with Traumatized Populations
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Juvenile Justice
- Korean Americans
- Latinos and Latinas
- Law, Social Work and the
- Life Span
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Management and Administration in Social Work
- Maternal Mental Health
- Measurement, Scales, and Indices
- Medical Illness
- Men: Health and Mental Health Care
- Mental Health
- Mental Health Diagnosis and the Addictive Substance Disord...
- Mental Health Needs of Older People, Assessing the
- Mental Illness: Children
- Mental Illness: Elders
- Middle East and North Africa, International Social Work an...
- Military Social Work
- Mixed Methods Research
- Motivational Interviewing
- Native Americans
- Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders
- Neighborhood Social Cohesion
- Neuroscience and Social Work
- Nicotine Dependence
- Occupational Social Work
- Organizational Development and Change
- Pain Management
- Palliative Care
- Parent Training
- Philosophy of Science and Social Work
- Physical Disabilities
- Police Social Work
- Positive Youth Development
- Postmodernism and Social Work
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Practice Interventions and Aging
- Practice Interventions with Adolescents
- Practice Research
- Productive Engagement of Older Adults
- Profession, Social Work
- Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Psychoanalysis and Psychodynamic Theory
- Psychopathology and Social Work Practice
- Psychopharmacology and Social Work Practice
- Psychosocial Framework
- Psychosocial Intervention with Women
- Qualitative Research
- Race and Racism
- Religiously Affiliated Agencies
- Reproductive Health
- Research Ethics
- Restorative Justice
- Risk Assessment in Child Protection Services
- Risk Management in Social Work
- Rural Social Work Practice
- School Social Work
- School Violence
- School-Based Delinquency Prevention
- Services and Programs for Pregnant and Parenting Youth
- Severe and Persistent Mental Illness: Adults
- Sexual Assault
- Single-System Research Designs
- Social Development
- Social Insurance and Social Justice
- Social Justice and Social Work
- Social Movements
- Social Planning
- Social Policy
- Social Security in the United States (OASDHI)
- Social Work Education and Research
- Social Work Regulation
- Social Work Research Methods
- Solution-Focused Therapy
- Strategic Planning
- Strengths Perspective
- Strengths-Based Models in Social Work
- Supplemental Security Income
- Survey Research
- Systematic Review Methods
- Task-Centered Practice
- Transdisciplinary Science
- Translational Science and Social Work
- United States, History of Social Welfare in the
- Veteran Services
- Victim Services
- Welfare State Reform in France
- Welfare State Theory
- Women and Macro Social Work Practice
- Women's Health Care
- Work and Family in the German Welfare State
- Working with Non-Voluntary and Mandated Clients
- Young and Adolescent Lesbians
- Youth at Risk
- Youth Services